Thursday, October 18, 2012

Schumacher to give up racing completely. Complete retirement eminent.

The seven-times World Champion announced in Japan two weeks ago that he would be quitting F1 for good following November's season finale in Brazil as his energy levels were "in the red zone again" after three years back in the sport.

Although Schumacher has always insisted that competing in other forms of four-wheeled motorsport holds little interest for him, the 43-year-old did take part in some motorcycle races after retiring from F1 for the first time at the end of 2006.

However, asked by Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport if he might re-appear in another racing category this time, Schumacher replied: "No, it's not in my plans.

"Formula 1 offers the maximum as far as emotions, speed and work completeness are concerned. Another type of car wouldn't give me the same feelings. I'm stopping here completely."

In his initial period of retirement Schumacher, in addition to competing on two wheels, also acted as an advisor to former team Ferrari and appeared on the pit wall at a number of grands prix.

A similar offer to serve as an ambassador or advisor to Mercedes is believed to be on the table this time round but the German remains light-lipped on what he might do next.

"From now on life will offer me plenty of new possibilities. I'm looking forward to them," he added.

Having come out of retirement after three years to spearhead Mercedes' new works team in 2010, Schumacher had hoped to challenge for an eighth world title but looks set to exit the sport again without adding to his record 91 wins, with his best finish to date a third place in Valencia in June.

Some pundits have suggested that the underwhelming nature of his on-track return may affect his legacy but Schumacher, despite the disappointing results, says his 'second' career has actually taught him how to accept defeat, and all in all, he's happy with his two decades in the sport as a whole.

"If I look into my life's rear-view mirror, I find myself happy and smiling," he explained.

"I've had two distinct careers: one where I won everything, and a second one where I discovered what losing means.

"Yes, I've learned how to lose, but this has made me more mature and more patient too, partly thanks to my age.

"Today I have to consider what I have done overall and I'm satisfied with myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment