Thursday, June 28, 2012

Google + Android

Updated to newest version of Google plus today,  after reading Joshua Topolsky's tentative thumbs up. Here's my only peave so far and its a big one. I can see what the google plus team is trying to do and basically their ideas are pretty sound. Responsive layout, easily read comments, improved contact list and a fun (color) sliding menu. Nice, nice, nice, all very laudable, except on the main stream.

I only have one quetion. Whats with all the white space? Granted I use twitter and it is all about white space, but I flick past quick and its also just text. Somehow this new look bothers me. Had to think about it for the better part of the day, but now I have it.

Google, you spoiled me with the full (width) color and pictures, especially on iOS, and it (is) was bloody fantastic. So this is a major fail for me. New looks are fine by me as long as it makes sense. In the age of high res photos, quad core superphones and 720p displays, what are you guys thinking? Now I understand that probably there are a lot of people who will like this new layout and that my observation might be in the minority, but I don't think so. Otherwise people wouldn't care about retina displays, big badass SLR's and iPads.

Backlit displays with vast amounts of white screen spaces never did it for me, not even when I was on a PC. Come to think of it, thats why screensavers and desktop images are so pleasing to the eye and judging by how many people download content like this, I'm not alone.

On newspapers it makes sense, cause newspapers don't have "backlit" displays. They don't have a lighting source at all except maybe the sun or a lightbulb. I'm sure back when candles were the biggest, baddest tech, it made sense. White things reflected light. Now? Not so much. Thanks guys, like most of it, but ditch the backwards compatible stuff, ok? Remember, I love big screens, great colors and an expansive backdrop as much as the next guy. Please remember that before the 1080p displays come out and 4k. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment