Monday, June 25, 2012

A few thoughts for Blackberry

I like Blackberry. There I've said it. But then I like lots of things. I like tech, phones and variety, in all things, just like a lot of people. But if I were to pass on a few thoughts to the current CEO of RIM, here's what I would say.

I understand that your position of your company is probably at its most critical in quite some time, but take heart, all is not lost. Its a big step for RIM to develop a new eco system, a new image, maybe even a new culture, however don't forget a few key points.

Its great to have killer new hardware, but don't go gigantic like the new SSG3, there is such a thing as too big. If it feels like its going to fall out of my hand, I'm going to get a lot of anxiety, and put it down. Oh and sexy is important, otherwise all cars would be K cars.

Please, its nice to have a killer display, but when I'm snapping pics outside and I can't see didly through the high detail screen, not so great, even if it has a killer camera

Have a killer camera, blackberry camera's in a word, suck. Oh and the whole corporate control thing, you already have the tools for controlling camera's.

Games, games, games....and more games.

Don't pull a Microsoft, make sure it works all the time, everytime, especially at your intro. Bluescreen, shiver, shiver. Surface anyone?

Have relevant features, not everything is useful, thats what app selection is for. The BB button is good, twenty sub menu's bad. Let Nokia do sub menu's and where are they now?

Data usage is going to be big bucks, try not to turn BB10 into a data hog. In case you haven't noticed, providers are offering less data for more money.

Oh yeah, last but not least, hype your products effectively, you already have many great features, but your marketing department needs a swift kick. No hype no glory. Some of the things like customizing your phone is getting a lot of hype for android or iOS these days, but RIM had it long before. Did your users use it, or even know about it? Oh and while I'm on that particular vein of thought, stop hyping until your ready, its hard to read about it over and over, get excited only to find, that its not going to be there. Remember BB playbook anyone. Apple does deliver, don't forget to deliver. Undersell, over deliver.

Use a common sense approach, but if your having a bad day, ask a ten year old for guidance, their honest. If grand aunt peach can't figure out how to use the interface....fail. Then its not an interface. Remember, people covet what they like or love. Covet.

Fluidity, ease of use, reliability and innovation win the day.

And yeah typing on a BB is still the best....

If you need help from an outsiders point of view, look me up, or if you just want to share the wealth of your developments, I am your man . I love Canadian. Go RIM go.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete